We’ve all experienced the feeling of standing before a room of people and feeling like a deer in the headlights: shaky voice, trembling hands, sweaty palms. When speaking in a second language, this feeling only intensifies. Fear not! Here are 5 tips to overcome your fear and prepare properly:
1) Be passionate about your topic! This is your chance to share something amazing — let your enthusiasm take over your anxiety! The more excited you are about your presentation, the more excited your audience will be.
2) Communication is more than speaking! Watch Steve Jobs present and note the importance of moving on stage, pausing for effect, and using your gestures to emphasise key points.
3) Smash the wall between you and your audience! Use rhetorical questions and ask the audience for quick responses. In doing so, you’ll keep them engaged and shift all the focus from you.
4) Don’t read a script! You’ll bore your audience to tears. On the other hand, memorisation will put added pressure on you. Instead, aim to explain the information in your own words with notes as prompts.
5) Speak with new people in English and you’ll soon overcome language and anxiety barriers! EF gives you the perfect chance to speak in a comfortable environment, with new people every day.
So, the audience is ready, what are you waiting for?!